Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Canning Chocolate Cake

Canning Chocolate Cake

By Jalapeno Gal77 via APN
chocolate-raspberry-cake

It is so easy to prepare a chocolate cake mix and have it stored on your shelf or in food storage to bake at a later date.  For a long time, I was buying prepackaged chocolate cakes and storing them.  Now I have found that I can store much more if I package all the dry ingredients myself.  I have stored them in two different ways:  I can the mix (Which makes WONDERFUL gifts if you decorate the quart jar and add a tag for the instructions), and I vacuum seal the mix.  I prefer to vacuum seal the mix because it takes up less storage space.  I keep a five gallon bucket in the pantry, and as I package the cake mix up, I put it in the bucket.  Once the bucket is full, I seal it and put it in our food storage pantry.  I have not found any documented facts on how long you can keep these in food storage.  I have used these mixes up to two years after I stored them with no problems, however, I personally wouldn’t go beyond two years.

Here are the ingredients to make one cake mix that will fit into a one quart jar, so you can easily make a gift for those you love.  Afterwards, I have included the recipe to make 5 cakes for your food storage.  You can package more than 5 at a time if you so choose.



Ingredients for one scrumptious chocolate cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups black cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/3 cup powder milk
  • 1/2 cup freeze-dried raspberries (optional)
Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda/powder, and salt in a large bowl and mixPour this into the bottom of a one quart wide mouth mason jar and tap gently so the mix packs to the bottom.  Next, pour the sugar on top and tap the jar again to pack it evenly.  In a bowl, mix together the black cocoa and powdered milk, and pour into jar and tap gently again.  If you choose to add the freeze-dried raspberries, then press these down on top.  Place lid and ring on jar.


Decorative ideas:  One way I like to decorate my mason jars when giving them as a gift, is with a simple piece of fabric, based on the reason or the season.  You place the fabric on top of the lid and use a thin, tight-fitting rubber band to secure it in place and then tie a ribbon around it to cover the rubber band.  Add your pre-made label to the ribbon at this time before you tie it.  Another way is to place the fabric over the lid and screw the ring down around it. You can search many different ways to decorate your jars. (I purchase all my labels at myownlabels.com.)

Labels or directions for each vacuum sealed package should read:

To make this cake:  Preheat your oven to 350° F.  Grease and flour a 9×13 cake pan.  In a large mixing bowl, pour your cake mix, and blend ingredients.  Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 beaten eggs, 1 & 3/4 cup warm water, and mix until blended.  Pour into your cake pan and cook for 35 minutes or until cake springs back in the center.  Cool your cake completely before frosting. Invite friends over and enjoy!!

Ingredients for 5 scrumptious chocolate cakes:
  • 7 1/2 cups of sugar  (There are about 2 cups of sugar in a pound)
  • 10 cups of flour (There are about 3 cups of flour in a pound of Gold Medal all purpose flour)
  • 16 oz black cocoa (This is the size of one can of black cocoa powder I buy)
  • 5 tsp baking powder
  • 10 tsp baking soda
  • 1 & 2/3 cups powdered milk
  • 2 & 1/2 cups freeze-dried raspberries, optional (1/2 cup per package)
Stephanie is another author here on APN and has written a wonderful article on yellow cake mix for your food storage pantry.  Click here to read.  There are many more recipes you can add to food storage in this same manner.  My favorite place to find jar recipes is www.mixesinajar.com.  She has fabulous ideas for all occasions.  Just remember to have fun!!

Keepin It Spicy,
Jalapeño Gal

Conversion Links:
Basic Conversion Charts
Domino Sugar Conversion Chart
Flour and Sugar Conversion Chart
Liquid and Dry Measurement Conversion Charts AND Calculator  (My favorite)

No comments:

Post a Comment