Spicy buffalo anything is a favorite in our house by the majority of people here. So I thought, what better meal in a jar to prep for than some buffalo chicken and rice!!
It turned out great so I had to share the recipe with all of you.
- 6 tablespoons spice mix (Knorrs or home-made), more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 cups minute rice
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried mixed vegetables OR 1/4 cup celery and carrots each
- 1 1/2 cup freeze-dried OR dehydrated chicken, you can use cubed or ranchers cut (shredded)
- 3 cups of Hot water
- 1 case of Quart Jars (about $10.00 at Walmart)
- Add ingredients from jar and 3 cups of warm water to a cold skillet.
- As your skillet heats the water will re-hydrate the ingredients.
- Place lid on skillet stirring occasionally so rice does not stick to the skillet.
- Cook until rice is tender and meal is hot. (about 10-20 minutes)
This particular recipe will make 8 quart jar meals before running out of Chicken. I had leftover Vegetables, rice and buffalo mix. Had I opted to use another can of chicken then I probably could of gotten another 6 meals made out of it. There are four of us and we each got a large full bowl of this meal. The great part is that it passed the test!! Everyone really enjoyed this meal with no questions asked. They could not tell that any of the ingredients were freeze-dried.
Cost for 8 Spicy Buffalo Chicken and Rice meals in jars was approx $103.00. This one jar will feed 4 people a good size bowl for supper. So technically your getting 32 meals if it is for one person. In my opinion that is not bad for 8 great meals that will last a long, long time.