Tuesday, March 19, 2013

DIY Compost Bin or Washing Machine?

DIY Compost Bin or Washing Machine?



Materials:


  • 3 2x4 x 8 pressure treated lumber
  • 1 galvanized chain link fence post
  • 4 3.5inch 1/4 bolts with washers and nuts
  • 6 or 8 6" 60d nails
  • one 55 gal barrel (must be food grade)
  • 4 latches
  • one piano hinge
  • one box of 10-32 3/4" nuts and bolts ( make sure they fit your hinges and latches)
The Picture is self explanatory. Paint if you want.  If you wanted you could even fashion some sort of handles at either end of the fence post to turn your compost bin and shake things up a bit.

I have been told this sort of compost bin is only good for kitchen scraps because it dries out very easily due to the holes placed in the barrel so watering it on a regular basis is a necessity.  A man also suggested adding some rods through the barrel to loosen and break up the material as you spin the barrel.  Otherwise your compost could turn into a solid chunk making it near impossible to remove from the barrel (unless the door is bigger.)  Sounds like good advise in my opinion. 

My thoughts when I first saw this was a home made washing machine.  I do not think it would be that hard to add some sort of rings to the door making the door air tight. What is all of your opinions about this contraption?  Any ideas? 

Keepin it Spicy,
Jalapeño Gal

4 comments:

  1. Felise Coover RigdonMarch 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

    I love that idea!I really hope we r not reduced to old-fashioned washing boards someday.I've asked my brother to keep an eye out for at least a wringer that I could attach to a huge bucket like we used to bathe in sometimes in the summer, when we were kids visiting our grandparents in the deep south.By the way,until I was an adult the place we called home the longest was Oklahoma,the pix you posted were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love oklahoma. I lived there 23 years. :)Iv'e already got 3 washboards myself and a bucket. If you look under me shop for gear tab there is wash board, the huge bucket and a ringer. However, you can also buy a mop bucket with a wringer as well. Many people do that to. :)

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. At little bit of history: this is similar to the 1st driers. They used metal barrels with holes in them, placed over a camp fire. Someone would wash laundry while someone else cooked. After dinner, spread the coals out so there isn't high flames. Put wet clothes into barrel and spin with a crank handle.

    ReplyDelete