Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Re- Growing Celery



 Don't toss that celery base! Did you know you can use it to re-grow a new bunch of celery?
2012_04_20-regrowcelery2.jpgI recently came across this topic on both Facebook and Pinterest, so I had to learn more. (Who knew that celery proliferation was all the rage?) It's apparently quite simple: just stand the base in a small dish of water for a week or so until new leaves appear in the center. The leaves will be yellow at first, and once they really emerge and turn green, you can plant the celery in the ground or in a pot.

You can also re-grow green onions, potato ends, ginger root, pineapples, avocados and garlic the same way.

Source

5 comments:

  1. I will be planting several large pots with veggies soon, and I think this will be one of them! I should be able to get 5 heads of celery in one pot, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be shopping for groceries next week, and I'll get the celery then. I'll be chopping almost all of the rest of it and dehydrating it. I'll also be buying some seeds for the other pots and I need to make some screened cages so that the insects won't wipe out my "crop"! Tomatoes will come later, but as long as the weather stays cool, I should be able to raise celery even in Florida; even some lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Georgia now and we grew lettuce almost year round here. (died in the summer) But in all fairness we hardly had a winter at all.

    JG

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just over a month since I bought all that celery, chopped and dehydrated it and started growing the new celery from the bases, and I'm pleased to say that it is growing very well in large pots! Before it gets very big, I will have the centers of 2-liter bottles surrounding each head so it will grow nice and straight. I am trying the same trick with Romaine lettuce and have 3 or 4 heads of it growing in pots, too! I hope to keep these growing throughout all the cool months here in north central Florida! I had to put stakes all around the tops of the pots and wrap plastic wrap (I know, sigh)round and round to keep the squirrels from digging in the pots, and it is working. At least the plastic wrap was recycled stuff! Cool nights - warm days = magic.


    ReplyDelete